In 1925, BISD issued bonds in the amount of $75,000, the sum of which would be used
in constructing and providing equipment for a six room school building. This new school, built on West St. Charles, was originally known as the First Ward School. Lucille Skinner served Brownsville children in a dual role. She was a principal and classroom teacher at the same time. In 1958, the First Ward School was renamed for Lucille Skinner.