Before the time of structured, organized public school education, classes were held in
rented building space. The conditions for teaching and learning were poor. The construction of the Grammar School in 1889 sought to solve these fundamental building problems. The original Grammar School, also known as Washington Park School, was condemned and remodeled several times. Upon its completion in 1947, the new school was renamed for Annie S. Putegnat the first grade teacher who later became the school’s principal.