In 2004, the district dedicated its 10th middle school to Charles Stillman, a successful
South Texas businessman who founded Brownsville as well as the neighboring town of Roma. Born in 1810, Stillman was a man of extraordinary vision, self discipline, and hard work who had a great love for the Rio Grande area. Before his death in 1875, he donated land for many public offerings including the site of Annie S. Putegnat Elementary, the old City Cemetery, and Washington Park. Maricela Zarate was the school’s first principal.