2001
A.A. Champion Elementary
Doors opened to Champion Elementary students in 2001. The school was named for A. A. Champion, a noted local historian, rancher, and public servant. Champion pursued a lifetime of knowledge regarding the history of the area in which he lived and became a nationally recognized historical source for the South Texas and Northern Mexico areas. It was Champion’s research which provided the U.S. Park Service with the actual location of the Palo Alto Battlefield, now a National Historical Site in Cameron County. Frequently described as a “true gentleman,” A.A. Champion also served his community as a U.S. Customs officer, Brownsville City Commissioner, and member of the Texas Southmost Board of Trustees. Bea Garcia was the school’s first principal.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us