1999
A.X. Benavides Elementary
In 1999, Benavides Elementary opened its doors. It is named after A.X. Benavides who spent 37 years as an educator in service to Brownsville’s children. He is credited with being the first bilingual education director in the district in 1971. At that time, he was one of the country’s first to hold a district level bilingual position. He was also the first director of pre-school and headstart programs and is credited with starting the district’s migrant program. Jill Williams was the school’s first principal.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us