1977
Egly Elementary
Egly Elementary is not named for one person. Instead the school is named for the Egly family of Brownsville, a family with a history of educating local students dating back to 1888. At the time of the school’s groundbreaking in 1976, nine different members of the Egly family had held various positions within the district. Joseph L. Egly told those present that day that not only was the recognition a great honor, but that he was more proud of his family’s achievements than of his own. Hesiquio Perez served as the school’s first principal.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us