1975
Palm Grove Elementary
Palm Grove Elementary was not a new school built by BISD. Instead, Trustees annexed the school from the Cameron County educational system after numerous complaints that the school was deteriorating. Superintendent James Ogg described the school’s conditions as deporable and promised that renovations would be made. After a summer’s worth of work, the superintendent’s new vision became reality. BISD improvements included a bright yellow paint job, air conditioning, water fountains, a nurse’s station, and a paved parking lot. There was also a new principal’s office, first occupied by Vic Avila.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us