1974
Felipe Perez
Elementary
In 1974, the elementary school population was growing even faster than the district could build schools. No sooner had BISD opened Perez Elementary when Superintendent James T. Ogg made a surprising discovery. New apartment houses close to the new school meant the student enrollment was beyond capacity, even as the doors opened for the first day of school. Construction of additional classrooms began immediately. The campus was named for Felipe Perez who had worked for many years in the BISD Maintenance Department. Virginia Garcia was selected as Perez's first principal.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us