1960
Garden Park Elementary
No sea battles were ever fought at Garden Park Elementary School. So why is the U.S. Navy recognized as part of the school's early history? In 1960, when the school opened its doors in the Las Prietas area of Brownsville, the school consisted of surplus portable buildings purchased from the Kingsville Naval Base. These portables were later replaced with a new, modern facility in 1983. Nell Palmer, a well-known Brownsville teacher, was named Garden Park's first principal.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us