1953
Robert L. Martin Elementary
It was back to school for 8,000 BISD students the year that R. L. Martin Elementary opened. Originally known as Ebony Heights Elementary, it had the same problem as Cromack Elementary; it was not complete at the start of school. Bob Jackson served as the first principal. The name Ebony Heights was changed to Martin in the late 1970's to honor longtime coach and principal, Robert L. Martin.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us