1953
Cromack Elementary
Windows were a luxury, not a necessity, when Cromack Elementary opened for classes in the Fall of 1953. The new school was close enough to completion. The roof and floor were in place. The windows and glass were not. Under the direction of Principal Tom Keller, students attended classes in open-air rooms for two months until construction was completed. Thankfully, it was a dry fall and rain did not ruin the school's interior. Cromack Elementary draws its name from a well-known Brownsville family rather than an individual person.
BISD Museum | 708 Palm Blvd. Rm. #116 | Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-698-1752 | hswilliams@bisd.us