Theresa Clearwater Elementary
Theresa Clearwater was a pioneer in Brownsville public education. She earned the first local certificate to teach school in 1872. As Brownsville built schools, Theresa Clearwater was a presence, teaching at the Grammer School, the West Brownsville School, and the Fourth Ward School. Like the woman it is named for, Clearwater Elementary has served many roles. Built in 1921-22, the school was first utilized as a junior high school. It was later annexed to Brownsville High School in 1955 before becoming an elementary school in 1967.