Food & Nutrition Services
Welcome to the Brownsville
Independent School District Food and Nutrition Service Website!
It is our pleasure to serve the children of BISD as well as the
community with the mission of providing nutritious meals to
students which will facilitate the improvement of academic
achievement and instill lifelong healthy eating habits.
About Food and Nutrition Service
The Food & Nutrition Service Department is the largest of the Operations Team
providing services for students and faculty in the district.
· Approximately 500 employees at 58 sites
· Serving approximately: 43,000 student lunches 41,000 student
· Budget: 32.9 million.
The FNS department is self supporting. Revenue sources include:
· Federal reimbursement for all student meals served
· USDA Commodities
· State Matching Funds
· A la carte Sales
· Adult Meals
The department operates under the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
and is administered at the state level by the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA).
As part of this agreement, we also operate under Special Assistance Provision 2.
This option is available to districts with an economic profile such as ours. This option
has enabled us to serve all our students one breakfast and one lunch meal per day
free of charge since the 1992 - 1993 School Year.
Under the terms of the agreements; the district agrees to serve meals that meet
· Meals must be provided to all children without regard to race, color, national origin, sex,
age, or disability
· Agree to accept and use USDA Commodities
· Operate on a nonprofit basis
· Meet Nutritional Requirements
We look forward to serving your children every day.
Please contact us if you have questions about any of our services.